In September 2019 we took the decision to make a practical and theory test a mandatory part of the PVD Accreditation process for all new and existing members. The aim is to show both the public and our peers that PVD Approved is status to be respected and aspired to.
- Skilled: Practical and Theory assessments passed
- Proven: Plentiful, positive, and independent customer reviews
- Insured: Checked and monitored to ensure the customer is protected
There are many competent amateur detailers in the UK, but this assessment covers areas that distinguish between the amateurs and the professionals. It is not designed to examine the minutiae of your detailing technique, it is not designed to shoe-horn people into doing everything a certain way, and it is not designed to make a fool of existing professionals – merely confirm it, and highlight any areas where further study and development might be appropriate.
The key topics are:
- Safe Working Practice – for you, for your customers, for members of the public
- Appropriate Methodology – cleaning vehicles effectively, efficiently, and safely
- Professional Conduct – ensuring a smooth customer experience from quote to completion
- Business Administration – knowing your rights and responsibilities as a business owner
The assessment days are subsidised by PVD, and should you fail the assessment you will be offered a free re-test not less than three months later to ensure you have a chance to build on areas that need improvement. All candidates will get a brief feedback session on a one-to-one basis, regardless of whether or not they pass. There will also be group feedback for topics that commonly need attention.
On successful completion of the assessment, you will be presented with a certificate and photographed. You will also have your online profile upgraded on the PVD directory to reflect your status.
On the day we provide everything you will need from stationary to chemicals, while catering will also be organised in advance. We ask that you arrive as you would to a customer’s site ready for work, with your current insurance documentation for all relevant policies.
We provide one assessor per three candidates for the practical assessments.
Typical Schedule (some days may start earlier or later depending on circumstances)
- 0900 – Registration and Insurance Check
- 1000 – Introduction and Orientation
- 1045 – Practical Assessment start
- 1215 – Lunch
- 1300 – Practical Assessment switch over
- 1430 – Theory Assessment brief
- 1445 – Theory Assessment Start
- 1600 – Feedback discussion
- 1630 – Results and Photos (Individual, Certificate Handover, Group)
In preparation for the assessment very little should be needed, but it is important that you are well-rested and have your insurance documentation to hand.