In September 2019 we took the decision to make a practical and theory test a mandatory part of the PVD Accreditation process for all new and existing members. The aim is to show both the public and our peers that PVD Approved is status to be respected and aspired to.
- Skilled: Practical and Theory assessments passed
- Proven: Plentiful, positive, and independent customer reviews
- Insured: Checked and monitored to ensure the customer is protected
There are many competent amateur detailers in the UK, but this assessment covers areas that distinguish between the amateurs and the professionals. It is not designed to examine the minutiae of your detailing technique, it is not designed to shoe-horn people into doing everything a certain way, and it is not designed to make a fool of existing professionals – merely ensure everyone is at a baseline and highlight any areas where further study and development might be appropriate.
The key topics are:
- Safe Working Practice – for you, for your customers, for members of the public
- Appropriate Methodology – cleaning vehicles effectively, efficiently, and safely
- Professional Conduct – ensuring a smooth customer experience from quote to completion
- Business Administration – knowing your rights and responsibilities as a business owner
The assessment days are subsidised by PVD, and should you fail the assessment you will be offered a free re-test not less than three months later to ensure you have a chance to build on areas that need improvement. All candidates will get a brief feedback session on a one-to-one basis, regardless of whether or not they pass.
On successful completion of the assessment, you will be sent a certificate and an announcement will be published on the public-facing social media. You will also have your online profile upgraded on the PVD directory to reflect your status, including a photo listing in the PRO Detailer Magazine Directory.
On the day we provide everything you will need from stationary to chemicals, you just need to arrive as if you were attending a customer site ready for work.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic we have had to change how the assessments are carried out, while maintaining their integrity and consistency for all those that take them. The new system works as follows:
- Please select from ‘Existing Member’ and ‘New Member’ (the latter includes ‘Member in Waiting’ and Returning Members)
- The Candidate purchases the assessment (click ‘add to basket’ and checkout)
- We will contact you directly via email to organise the theory assessment (you will need a computer and a mobile phone, in a private room for approx 70 minutes with 5mb/s or better internet access)
- Theory Assessments are taken online using professional ClassMarker software and we invigilate live via video link throughout the assessment
- Those that pass the theory will then be able to book with one of the nine assessment centres around the UK for a 1-to-1 practical, these take about 2hrs.
The original assessment cost has been kept the same despite moving to a one-to-one, two stage assessment – this item covers BOTH your theory and practical assessment (and one-time set-up fee & welcome pack for new members).