Four steps to becoming PVD Approved
The Professional Valeters & Detailers Trade Association prides itself on presenting customers with safe, reliable, and technically proficient car care professionals - whether they are searching for a mobile valeter or unit-based detailer. It is paramount that we ensure all our members meet and maintain high standards in these areas, so when a client sees that a valeter or detailer is PVD Approved, they know they can rely on them to look after their vehicle.
With this in mind, we have developed a four-step approval process for those wishing to join the Association, outlined here.
If you wish to make an application to join PVD click the green "Apply Now" button below. If you would like a call back to discuss the benefits of PVD then fill out the quick call back form below and we will be in touch.
There are various criteria that candidates need to meet prior to moving forward to the Accreditation stage. We ask that candidates ensure they meet these minimum standards, and can provide evidence that they have done so prior to completing the application form, these include:
- At least one full year trading as a primary occupation
- Appropriate insurance - full requirements HERE
- At least 25 positive, independent, & verifiable reviews
- Evidence of formal training, shadowing, or apprenticeship
- Evidence of consistently professional online conduct
- Have a thorough working knowledge and understanding of car care principles and methodology
- Have a sustainable service and pricing structure
- Have read our Code of Conduct and agree to comply with it
The Accreditation process is carried out remotely and requires the completion of the application form. We will likely call or email candidates for further specific information as required. Areas that we look at include:
- Insurance certificate and schedule verification
- Evidence of stated trading time
- Evidence of stated training
- Evidence of independent reviews
- Evidence of appropriate service terminology
- Evidence of appropriate pricing structure
- Evidence of professional online conduct
- Evidence of good working practices
Once you have ordered your assessment we will contact you to book a remote session for the theory component. This is taken using Classmarker software with live invigilation via video conferencing using a smart phone.
Once the theory has been passed, you may book in with your preferred testing centre - listed below - and organise the practical one-on-one session. This takes between two and three hours.
The key topics examined in the assessment are:
- Awareness of safe working practice
- Demonstration of technical proficiency
- Understanding of chemical safety principles
- Professionalism and commercial awareness
- Knowledge of legal obligations
- Customer care
On completion of the Assessment stage we will advise candidates as to whether or not they have been passed. Those that have passed will be granted PVD Approved status, and will gain all the benefits of membership including:
- Certificate of Approval
- Welcome pack including T-Shirt, Vinyl, etc.
- Listing on the PVD Directory
- Listing in the PRO Detailer Magazine
- Access to PVD Private Group
- Access to PVD Product & Equipment Discounts
- Access to PVD Member-only products
- Access to PVD Gateway Programs
- Access to PVD Approved Training Courses
- Access to PVD Certification Programs
- Access to PVD Business Assistance
- Access to Technical Advice Helpline
The initial accreditation process is free and can often provide useful feedback, even in the event that a company is unsuccessful at the time of applying.
The assessment and entry fee is £175. This covers the invigilated theory assessment, the one-to-one practical assessment, your profile creation and welcome pack. It includes one free re-test should a candidate fail either the theory or practical element of the assessment, which has to be taken at least three months after the initial assessment.
Should a candidate fail the re-test, £75 will be refunded as there is no welcome pack or profile creation.
Once a candidate has passed the assessment and membership has been granted, there is either a monthly £9.99 fee or an annual £99 fee - both collected by direct debit.